There’s new lifts and area expansion happening all over the Kootenay’s these days, check out this press release from Golden’s Kicking Horse Mountain Resort. It looks super!
August 3rd, 2010, Golden, BC…. Kicking Horse Mountain Resort announces today the opening of a 4th Alpine Bowl for its 10 year celebrations, winter 2010/11. Known by local mountain enthusiasts as ‘Super Bowl’, the terrain will introduce an epic selection of advanced and expert skiable terrain.
“Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is excited to announce the addition of a 4th Alpine Bowl to its already impressive roster of terrain,” states Steve Paccagnan, President and CEO of Kicking Horse Mountain Resort “this opening is a perfect lead in to the 10 years of Kicking Horse Mountain Resort celebrations while continuing to demonstrate the resort commitment to improving the overall guest experience.”
The terrain in Super Bowl has previously been referred to as some of the ‘best high alpine terrain found anywhere’. With over 15 new advanced and expert chutes, the entire bowl will have an off-piste feel within a controlled inbounds environment.
Winter access to this terrain will be a unique experience with a new ski traverse trail from the top of the Golden Eagle Express Gondola. The main chutes will be accessible VIA two boot pack trails from the summits of Terminator and T2. Each hike is located in the hi-alpine and will be a must do for those seeking a true big mountain experience.
Super Bowl is situated south of the existing Kicking Horse Mountain Resort ski area boundary and positioned within the original controlled recreational area. The bowl’s terrain is made up of North, South and East facing slopes with a ski out that exists at the top of the existing Terminator run.
“Super Bowl has always been a part of the resort’s Controlled Recreation Area (CRA) and original master plan. However, the bowl has never been open and skiable terrain,” says Steve Paccagnan, President and CEO. “The decision was made to open this new terrain and provide our valued guests with safe access to one of the best alpine ski/snowboard bowls and chutes in North America.”
The project also includes a new summer hiking trail along the Bowl Over ridge to the Super Bowl saddle. The highlight of this hiking trail is easy access to some amazing views of the Columbia Valley, Canyon Creek and stunning alpine meadows. The trail will also feature some alpine interpretive signage to help educate guests on alpine travel and the local topography.
· 4th Alpine Bowl – New for Winter 2010/11 – SUPER BOWL
· Over 15 new inbound chutes – added to the existing 70 – NOW 85 CHUTES
· 10 Years of Kicking Horse Mountain Resort – special event celebrations all season long
· Controlled Recreation Area (CRA) – Super Bowl has always been a part of Kicking Horse Mountain Resorts CRA, but has never been a part of the resorts open terrain
· Access – from the Golden Eagle Express Gondola VIA a new ski traverse trail
· Terrain –Super Bowl terrain will be rated expert & advanced (Black and Double Black)
· Vertical – Terminator Peak 2407m / T2 2385m – Over 300M of new vertical
· Location – One bowl south of the Golden Eagle Express Gondola and Bowl Over