The Mountain Hardwear Scrambler RT 35 OutDry Backpack is a brilliantly simple and utilitarian addition to your quiver of packs to get you through mixed-weather day trips or even just your rainy bike ride to work.
Eschewing the trend of trying to do it all in one, this pack is a single, waterproof 35-litre compartment to put on your back that stays dry. It does exactly what it’s supposed to, and nothing more, with comfortable low-profile fit. It’ll even keep laptop moisture free on commutes, too.
Because it doesn’t have compartments or ski carriers, I haven’t found it ideal for ski touring. It is however outstanding for approaches to climbing crags, or even light alpinism, complete with two ice-axe holders. There’s an outer mesh sleeve you can quickly stash a water bottle in, or dry your stinky, damp clothes. Or you can stuff water bottles into the deep mesh side pockets, too. You can also stick a water bladder in behind the spine. I know it’s not it’s intended use, but this pack is amazing for adventure biking: that is, longer, perhaps even multi-day, mountain-bike rides.
It is top loading, so you have to be okay with digging through your stuff or being smart about stacking it. But when it’s not full you can manipulate the straps to synch it down. You do have two waist pockets for a quick snack or to stash your phone/camera (or bike tool) for rapid access, but be warned they’re not as air tight as the main compartment, if you’re keeping electronics there.
The Mountain Hardwear Scrambler RT 35 OutDry Backpack is tough, comfortable and light, and comes at a fair price given it’ll likely last you 10 years. If you can only have one pack, this one might not be for you, but if you need something brilliantly simple for uncertain weather days, and for keeping stuff bone dry, this is the ticket.
MSRP: $120 CAD
- Guaranteed watertight OutDry® construction main compartment, rain room tested for 24 hours
- Roll-top, waterproof construction keeps your gear extra safe and extra dry
- HardWave suspension conforms comfortably to the curve of your back and distributes weight evenly
- Comfortable, fully padded hipbelt with two large zippered pockets (one stretch mesh, one fabric) provides quick access to often needed items
- Large front stash pocket with drainage allows storage of frequently needed items or damp gear and maintains volume even when main compartment is full
- Padded shoulder straps provide excellent fit and comfort
- Two deep side pockets for water bottles or other gear
- Side compression straps keep any size load stable
- Easy access hydration sleeve with drainage under top pocket
- Adjustable sternum strap adds stability while on the move
- Carry loops for ice axes or trekking poles
- Fabric Accent: Air Mesh
- Fabric Body: 400D HD Nylon
- Apparel Fit: Equipment
- Pack Weight Regular: 1 lb 16 oz / 0.90 kg
- Pack Capacity Regular: 2111 cu in / 35 ltr
- Pack Dim Regular: 23 in x 12 in x 10 in / 58 cm x 29 cm x 25 cm
- Pack Torso Regular: 16 in – 22 in / 41 cm – 56 cm
For more info, log on to www.mountainhardwear.com.