An ultra-light, compressible insulated layer so versatile you can’t find a reason not to bring it with you. Mountain Hardwear’s Men’s Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket is literally featherweight, you almost can’t tell you’re wearing it, except it’s just warm enough to make that critical difference.
Designed for alpine climbing, it also makes a perfect mid layer for winter use like ski touring.
I’ll admit that it’s so light, at first, I didn’t know what to do with it. It’s not quite warm enough to serve as a get-you-through-the night layer if anything goes wrong, and it’s also not quite warm enough to use as an exclusive mid-layer. What I’ve found is it makes a perfect second mid-layer on days when you don’t want to haul your full down jacket and it’s just cold enough to need a little something extra.
Because it zips into its own pocket so easily and is so compact, I pull it out and put it away way more often than I would my larger layer, which makes it easier to stay warm on picnic breaks.
It’s also way less bulky than full down and you can wear it under your hardshell without it making you look like a sumo wrestler. The down inside is treated, so it stays warm even when wet. Don’t brush up against trees or rock, though, it’s a little fragile as the compromise for its weight. But if you keep it underneath an outer layer, you’re good to shred in it.
My only gripe is how Euro the shiny material looks, but maybe that’s the nature of the fabric, or something.
All told, I bring this with me in the backcountry 90 per cent of the time, now and it’s completely revitalized my quiver of layers.
- Shield® DOWN resists heat-robbing moisture and retains maximum loft even when wet
- Low profile quilt pattern to create heat trapping down channels for extra warmth
- Lightweight warmth makes it incredible for layering
- Single interior toggle hem for easy adjustment on the fly
- Soft, “Butter Jersey” cuffs have elastic binding to seal off cold and moisture
- Zips into its own pocket for compact storage
- Built-in secure loop for carabiner attachment to harness when stuffed
- Stowable in pocket
- Fabric Body: Whisperer 7D x 10D Ripstop
- Body Fabric Content: 100% Nylon
- Insulation: 79 g. Q.Shield™ Down 800-Fill
Center Back Length: 28″ / 71 cm
- Apparel Fit: Active
- Weight: 7.7 oz. / 219 g.